MiDAS stands for Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme. It is a programme designed to enhance the driving and passenger awareness skills of minibus drivers. It is run under the auspices of the Community Transport Association in England and administered by the Community Transport of Ireland. The group provides ‘MiDAS’ training both in-house and contracted out.
- The objectives of MiDAS are that minibus driver will:
- Be assessed to ensure their driving skills are of an acceptable standard
- Be given help where necessary to improve their minibus driving skills
- Be aware of the legal, practical and safety issues surrounding minibus driving
- Be trained in the safe use of accessible minibuses where necessary
- Receive a certificate which is accepted by other MiDAS members
- This training then should lead to such potential benefits as follows:
- Improved passenger comfort
- Increased driver confidence
- Reduced stress on minibus drivers
- Potential reduction in the vehicle running costs
- A better image for the organisation
- A better image for the minibuses
The course can be divided into two parts; one is a practical driving exercise incorporation driving fault analysis with identification and correction. The remainder of the training takes place in a classroom setting session.
The content includes the following:
Monitoring and Evaluating Driving Standards
- Driving Skills Training
- Defensive Driving
- Passenger Safety
- Personal Safety
- Manual Handling Awareness
- Breakdown, Accident and Emergency Procedures
- Safe use of Passenger Lifts and Ramps
- Wheelchair and Passenger Restraint Equipment
- Good Practise and Professional Etiquette
Who is it aimed at?
MiDAS is applicable to any organisation operating or using minibuses. Member organisations range from small voluntary organisations operating one vehicle, to local authorities operating large fleets of minibuses as well as schools, colleges and universities.
All drivers should attend, but particularly those working with people with disabilities. This course will enhance confidence and performance.
What MiDAS offers you
You and your passengers will be aware that your driving competence has been assessed to a common countrywide standard.
You will receive up to date training in the skills and information needed to drive a minibus.
You will be able to drive the minibuses of other MiDAS members without having your driving skills re-assessed